Sean Sczepanik was born in Santa Maria, California. He started painting surrealistic portraiture at Allen Hancock Junior College. In 2003, he completed a five-panel mural for the Lompoc Mural Society. He received his BFA from the University of California of Santa Cruz with an emphasis in oil painting and installation art.
Sczepanik thematically explores the destruction of life through the eyes of his detailed characters: monsters, ghosts, witches and serpents all of which are painted on a serene, dream-like backdrop. Ranging from human-inspired to ghoulishly crafted figures, these characters created an expression that viewers can connect with on a personal level.
He has exhibited at San Jose Museum of Art and Kaleid gallery in San Jose; RAW gallery in Oakland; Modern Eden gallery, Phoenix Hotel, Wonderland gallery and boutique, Miss Phoenix Rose tattoo studio and gallery, and D-Structure in San Francisco. Sczepanik currently resides in San Francisco, California.
Theme Park Mayhem
This body of work plays with the idea of theme parks with monsters. In this candy cane landscape there are blood raspberry river shoots coming out of angry houses, witch’s blowing skull bubbles, and even monsters exhibiting sadistic pleasures. If you’re interested in being part of this group of work the price of admission is a drawing session with me.
Steampunk Animal Kingdom
The broken gears series is about the mechanical components of the animals breaking down. The reason for this breakdown is because human beings were negligent in the maintenance of these animals. These altered creatures would then turn against their masters and reclaim the earth.
This group of work is an exploration of monsters and cartoons from the imagination, referencing mainly Nightmare on Elm Street, Poltergeist, Fright Night, and Hellraiser.
Nov. 17, 2012 – Collaborative group show, Modern Eden Gallery, SF
SOLO ART SHOW, 520 Haight St., D-Structure, SF
- DARK ART group art show, Modern Eden Gallery, SF
- Something like Oz group art show, Wonderland SF
- MYTH Group art show, Modern Eden Gallery, SF
- Miss Phoenix Rose group art show, SF
- The He/She Body Farty Party group art show, San Francisco, CA more info TBA
- Bite-sized Monster group art show, Modern Eden, 403 Francisco Street, San Francisco, CA
- West End Village Celebration, West End 4th Street, San Rafael, CA
- Memento Mori, Modern Eden, 403 Francisco Street, San Francisco, CA
- Submission Art Space, 2183 Mission St, San Francisco, CA
- RAW Gallery (Aug. 5), 1951 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, CA
- Layers of Age in Monster Land, KALEID Gallery, San Jose, CA
- CHILLIN (May 28), San Francisco, CA
- RAW Gallery (May 6), San Francisco, CA
- D-Structure, (April 1), San Francisco, CA
- Cinequest Maverick art contest (March 2-10), San Jose, CA
- On the Corner Music group art show (Dec. 17) San Jose, CA
- Phantom Galleries (Nov. 5) San Jose, CA
- Element Lounge, Mural group art show, San Francisco, CA
- RAW Gallery (Nov.5) San Francisco, CA
- The Creamery, San Francisco, CA
- On the Corner Music, “Stripped in a Mechanical Meadow”, Campbell, CA
- Hotel Pheonix, San Francisco, CA
- R.A.P.E at Monkey Pond, San Francisco, CA
- On the Corner Music, “Buckaroo Bobby Buttonhole”, Campbell, CA
- Autumn by the Bay, San Francisco, CA
- Blank Club, San Jose, CA
- San Jose Museum of Art, curatorial offices, San Jose CA
- Allan Hancock Junior College, Santa Maria, CA
- Lompoc mural project, Lompoc, CA